Thursday 17 March 2011

Shoes at Saddlers Wells/

I saw this tonight with a friend and it is fantastic, though if someone had told me about the first five minutes of jazz hands and tap I would have never gone. Shoes is however, for the most part - utterly brilliant, really sexy and also at times actually laugh out loud funny. My top performances were; the 3 bed scene which was a dimly lit stage with 3 rout iron bed frames and three really hot women writhing about accompanied by one equally hot man dancing about in a lady gaga allehandro-esque 5 minute sex scene-a-thon!
There is also a male dancer who does his own freestyle contemporary dance to show his love for a pair of adidas trainers (weird but good) to the The Roots - How I Got Over, (I think that's the track name) which is a funny coincidence as someone was talking to me about them just the other day. I don't know anything about dance but I'd say it was a mix of ballet and breakdancing, really graceful but totally gritty.

But the whole show should have been about one part in particular - the wedding frame scene, which was a bride and groom dancing inside a giant metal picture frame which they walked up the walls of, upside down while it was turning on stage. There were few lyrics to the backing music which is why I liked it, the whole 'story' was played out in a few minutes of unbelievable dance. I'm crap with words at the best of times as my job is all about aesthetic and every day I get less and less articulate - but if you want to take someone to something really different - then go to this.
(note there are some really cringey too over the top camp bits between the good parts)

last bit -
Decided to seek out some sort of Imelda Marcos museum (there must be one surely) while in Manila and also ditch the beautiful but crippling shoes I wore tonight. x

No comments: