Tuesday 24 April 2012

Stephen Wright my bonkers neighbour in East Dulwich


Dismembered dolls, toothpaste tubes, false teeth, crockery, plastic cutlery, beads and glass eyeballs - right round the corner from where I live....
All manner of seemingly worthless objects are integral to the work of Steven Wright. 
Largely sculptural and nearly always with an added bumpy dimension simply because of the nature of his chosen medium, his work explores the notion of more is more. Very much reminiscent of Mexican and folk art, the work is vibrant, exciting and mad, he says he is very much inspired by 'spiritual, iconographic and religious significance of the Folk Art object'.

There is a small gallery space in Brixton village showcasing some of his pieces but more excitingly his Dulwich home (bequeathed to the National Trust) is open to visitors by appointment. His home is named: 'The House of Dreams', but I can tell you - I'm not sure how comfortable I'd rest at night if I had some of these images behind the old eyelids....I am going to pop round one afternoon on the way home from Sainsburys and tell him he's bonkers and I love his work.



Yes Steven - like that one I do most Sunday mornings past your house on the way to Sainsburys .

No comments: